Bloomington, Indiana is located about one hour south of the state capital of Indianapolis and Indianapolis International Airport, two hours north of Louisville, Kentucky and within a day’s drive to over half the U.S. Beautifully rolling hills, ravines, diverse cultures, the ever-changing seasons and famous limestone industry contribute to Bloomington’s distinct character.
Climate varies as the saying goes….. ‘It’s Indiana’! Temperatures range from 34/18 in January to 73/52 in May to 84/63 in August to 51/33 in November.
Indiana became the 19 th state in 1816. Monroe County was created in 1818 with its current boundaries being established in 1836. Indiana residents are referred to as ‘Hoosiers’ but with several theories, the Hoosiers are still unsure of the meaning.
Bloomington has 20 square miles, a population of 70,000 and the state’s 7 th largest city. Monroe County consists of nearly 400 square miles and has a population of nearly 125,000. Indiana University, Bloomington Hospital, Crane Naval Base, Health & Sciences and manufacturing are among the largest employers making Bloomington and Monroe County a solid economy. The state’s largest inland lake, Lake Monroe, is a popular recreation destination. It was manmade in 1965 and covers 10,000 acres surrounded by forestry.
Bloomington & Surrounding Area Resources
- City of Bloomington Indiana
- Ellettsville Indiana
- Energy Star
- Government of Monroe County Indiana
- Indiana Association of Realtors
- Indiana Sheriffs Association
- Indiana University
- Indiana Government
- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- National Association of Realtors
- Richland Bean Blossom Community Schools
- The Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- US Green Building Council
- Visit Bloomington Indiana